Tangerines are varieties of related oranges, this citrus orange, which has a botanical name Citrus tangerina is widely known for its close relationship with tangerine. The name of the tangerines comes from Tangier, Morocco. But this fruit originates in the forests of southeastern China and today, it is widely cultivated in most of the world. Like any other fruit, tangerines contain many nutrients that would be beneficial to the health of our body. First, let’s look at the nutrients that this fruit contains.
Benefits of Tangerines That You Did Not Know:
The benefits of the tangerines of all these nutrients, we bet that you already know that this fruit has tons of greatness for your health. These are the health benefits that your body could get if you start consuming tangerines.
1. Healthy Skin:
- They contain a rich source of vitamin C that you all know can stimulate the release of antioxidants.
- Antioxidant is beneficial to fight against several free radicals and as a result you will be more likely to avoid any type of cancer, including skin cancer.
- On top of that, the vitamin C in mandarins could stimulate the release of collagen and elastin in your skin.
- This collagen is really essential to make your skin smooth and, of course, will make you look younger than your age.
2. Anti-Aging Skin:
- Do you have a skin problem such as acne or pimples that affects your confidence?
- They offer you the solution to your problem since they contain a high amount of vitamin A.
- Vitamin A is very beneficial for your skin because this vitamin can stimulate your skin tissues to rebuild.
- In addition to that, the vitamin A in tangerines has anti-aging properties that are essential to protect you from various skin problems such as wrinkles, fine lines and dull skin.
- Therefore, if you want to look younger than your age, consume tangerines.
3. Improve Your Smile:
There is research conducted at the State University of New York in Buffalo that indicates that people who do not consume vitamin C daily are more likely to suffer from gingivitis of up to 25 percent compared to people who consume vitamin C constantly.
- Gingivitis is a problem related to teeth.
- When you brush your teeth and find blood in your teeth due to red gums, then it means that you are suffering from gingivitis.
- Eating this fruit will protect you from this problem due to its high amount of vitamin C, which allows you to show your best smile to other people.
4. Good for the Health of your Eyes:
- They could help you prevent a disease called Age-related Macular Degeneration and cataracts.
- For your information, there is a study in the United States that indicates that age-related macular degeneration is the leading cause of vision loss in men over 60.
- Vitamin C and vitamin A containing mandarins will prevent you from this disease and keep your vision sharp.
5. Strengthens your Bones:
- There is a study conducted at Tuft University in men that it turned out that men who consume high amounts of vitamin C and potassium had a better density in their bones compared to men who do not consume vitamin C and potassium regularly, you can consume it.
- Therefore, if you want to add some vitamin C and potassium in your body, tangerine is the perfect option.
6. Help Your Body Absorb Iron:
- Iron is one of the most important nutrients in your body.
- If your body does not have an adequate amount of iron, you will feel so tired and lazy easily, even if you just sit on the couch.
- In addition, the lack of iron will make dark circles appear just below the eyes, which will affect their appearance.
- Therefore, eating tangerine, which is a perfect source of vitamin C, will help protect you from these problems because vitamin C, if synchronized with dietary iron, will allow your body to absorb iron easily.
7. Prevents Diabetes:
- Some researchers at the University of Western Ontario show that mandarins are also the perfect source of flavonoid compounds called nobiletina.
- This component will encourage your body to burn fat and avoid the fat manufacturing process.
- Therefore, you will be more likely to avoid the disease caused by fat in your body such as type 2 diabetes.
8. Prevents Stroke:
- As mentioned earlier, mandarins contain a rich amount of potassium.
- This potassium could prevent diseases associated with stroke such as blood clotting.
- There is a study conducted by Nurse’s Healthy Study in more than 69 thousand people.
- The result is that people who consume mandarins had a 19 percent lower risk of having the disease associated with stroke, such as blood clotting.
9. Reduces the Risk of Obesity:
- If you want to reduce your body weight and eat a diet, eating tangerines is one of the best options because this fruit, like other fruits, contains a high amount of fiber.
- On top of that, tangerines contain vitamins that prevent the production of cortisol, which is a hormone that can cause stress and can encourage your body to store fat.
- So, from now on, include mandarins as one of the fruits for your healthy diet.
10. Help Prevent Cancer:
- Tangerines contain a compound called limonoids.
- According to some researchers in Korea, this limonoid compound could prevent the spread of leukemia and breast cancer.
- But, please, keep in mind that this research was carried out on an animal and it has not yet been discovered whether it will work as the same result in humans or not.
11. Shapes Your Muscles:
- As already mentioned above, tangerine is one of the fruits that contain a high amount of potassium.
- This potassium compound has proven beneficial for your muscles, as it would stimulate the growth and recovery of your muscles.
- Therefore, this fruit would be a great friend for all who love sports activities.
12. Healthier Digestive System:
- Do you know that a tangerine fruit has the same amount of water compared to 3-4 ounces of mineral water?
- Well, tangerine is also one of the juiciest fruits.
- This high amount of water along with the vitamin A of mandarins would be beneficial to stimulate the absorption of nutrients from the foods you just ate and keep the digestive tract hydrated.
13. Strengthens Your Immune System:
- The vitamin C that mandarins contain will also improve your immune system.
- By consuming tangerines, you will be less likely to have various diseases such as cold, influenza, fever and other symptoms.
- So, if you want to stay healthy all the time, consuming tangerine is the best way to achieve it.
14. Improve Your Mood:
- According to the Mayo Clinic Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program, mandarins have a link to improve their general mood.
- The aroma of tangerines can cure it from the feeling of stress, depression and anxiety.
- Therefore, if you are having a bad day, it is suggested to smell the aroma of tangerines and as a result, you will feel more relaxed than before.
15. Hydrates the Hair:
- After taking a bath, sometimes you feel that your hair is too oily.
- The problem that can cause fat in your hair is the water you use when taking a bath.
- Tangerines contain vitamin A that can hydrate sebum in the scalp and will also fight against contamination that can make your hair weaker than before.
16. Delays the Graying of the Hair:
- If you want to have a hair that remains with its color until you get older, start eating tangerines.
- Tangerines contain a high amount of vitamin B12, which promotes hair growth and also reduces the chances of hair loss.
- Vitamin B12 is also very important to delay the process of graying hair.
17. Get a Shiny Hair:
- Tangerines may also be beneficial to help you get shiny hair due to its vitamin C compounds.
- Vitamin C can help your body absorb iron, which allows the body and hair to get more nutrients.
- As a result, you will have bright and shiny hair so you have more confidence to meet the people around you.
18. Avoid Spasms:
- Well, spasms are not a good sign for your body.
- If you think that spasm is only related to muscle cramps, you are wrong.
- It can occur in the digestive system, respiratory system and nervous system and cause asthma, congestion and cough.
- Tangerines, if you use them as an essential oil, will give you relaxation between the organic systems mentioned above and avoid spasms in your body.
19. It is an Antiseptic:
- It is revealed that tangerines, if used as an essential oil and applied externally, will kill the Straphyloccocus Aureus bacteria, which is responsible for many infections that occur in your wound and can make your pain more acute, as they spread Infections to the other parts of your body.
- Just rub it on the wound and these bacteria would kill each other.
20. Eliminates Toxins:
- It is also revealed that tangerines can get rid of toxins in your body.
- When you consume tangerine, it will act as a cleanser that will help you purify your blood.
- This fruit will also promote the excretion of the toxic substance or other unwanted substance such as uric acid or contaminant through sweat or urine.
Tips on How to Harvest Tangerines and Store Them:
- As a fruit with great grandeur for your body, it is very important to pick tangerines and store it correctly.
- If you have not stored it correctly, you will most likely lose the greatness of tangerines.
- So, here are some tips for storing your tangerines, so that the greatness of tangerines could be completely applied to your body.
- When you want to buy it, first of all, you need to pick up the tangerine that has a heavy weight, since heavy tangerines contain a lot of water and more juicy than light ones.
- Also, make sure your shells are free of stains and have an orange or red color.
- Rinse the tangerines under cold water and then dry them with a towel. Please keep this fruit out of direct sunlight if you do not want to lose your nutrients.
- If you do not want to consume the tangerines on the same day and want to keep them for the next day, be sure to refrigerate them.
- But, please remember that even if you already refrigerate them, you should consume tangerines up to seven days after buying them.
Tangerine Consumption Tips:
Here are some tips on eating tangerines, so you will enjoy your moment while consuming it and most importantly, you will get all the benefits that tangerines offer to your body.
- As one of the most juicy and delicious fruits, you can eat tangerines directly after buying them.
- You can cut the tangerines into pieces and add them in a cup of your morning cereal or your healthy salad.
- Tangerine juice is also refreshing and offers you all the benefits for your body.
- You can use the tangerine juice as a flavor by pouring it into your noodles, pasta or chicken.
- Mandarin peels can be used as an essential oil since tangerine essential oil, if applied externally, would be beneficial as an antiseptic.
Tangerines Warnings and Precautions:
Although mandarins contain a lot of greatness for your body, but there are also some precautions and side effects that you might have to consider before consuming it. Here are the warnings and precautions related to tangerines:
Still Unknown for Pregnant Women:
There is doubt whether tangerines could be beneficial for pregnant women or if they will cause many symptoms that lead to problems in pregnancy due to their lack of scientific evidence. Therefore, for the safety of your baby, it is advisable not to consume it when you are going to get pregnant.
- There are some people who have a hypersensitivity to tangerines.
- People who have allergies to mandarins will have several problems such as rash.
- If you have some problems with diseases associated with gastro-internals, you should avoid consuming it since tangerine could be harmful to your intestine.
- Mandarin is widely known for its capacity for intestinal obstruction.
- Now you know that tangerines offer you a lot of goodness for your body.
- Since it tastes great and contains a lot of water, you should try this fruit and let it protect you from any disease that may attack you at any time.\