The jackfruit, jackfruit, jack, nangka or panapén (Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam.) Is a species belonging to the family of the moráceas. Originally from Indonesia, where there is greater genetic diversity among its thousands of islands according to many researchers in botany and genetic dispersion. It is also distributed to South and Southeast Asia. This tree produces the national fruit of Bangladesh, as well as Indonesia. It has great similarities with Artocarpus altilis (breadfruit), originally from Indonesia and Melanesia. The fruit, inside, is yellow, similar to mango. The juice has a slightly sour and very sweet taste, a flavor that reminds of the mixture of mango with orange.
Jackfruit or jaca as it is also known is a fruit with great benefits. Vegetable products have been the most important components of the healthy diet to maintain human health for a long time. It is known that fruits and plants have a protective effect on the body as they contain many active phytochemicals that act as antioxidants. Research reported that phytochemicals, such as flavonoids and phenolic acids, are natural antioxidants that originate in plants and have therapeutic uses to maintain a healthy body and treat some diseases. The jackfruit tree can grow tall until it reaches 80 feet tall and a large diameter. The tree has many branches and produces white and very sticky latex. Jaca itself grows from plural flowers and can grow up to 35 pounds and even more.
As a recorder in the Guninness registered book, the largest cane fruit weighs 79 pounds and grew up in Hawaii. This fruit is well known for its size and the unique smell that can be described as a mixture of grape, cheese and banana, while others say that the smell of fruit is like spoiled onions and sweaty sports socks and the smell of sweet cloying.
The jackfruit originated in southwestern India based on some stories from sages and philosophers of India and then spread to all countries in Southeast Asia and then spread to other tropical countries. In some countries people have different names for cane fruit such as nangka in Indonesia, bo luop mi in China, here in French, jaca, jackfruit in Spanish, Portuguese, lanka in the Philippines, and others. The jackfruit was introduced in the Philippines in the 12th century and then began to be cultivated there.
- Today we can find many varieties of jaca that are found throughout the world, and the fruit is generally divided into two main categories: soft or firm.
- The pulp of the fruit can have a yellow color in dark orange and the fruit also contains large seeds inside it.
- People in some countries like Indonesia, India, the Philippines and others used to cook ripe fruit in curries, soups and even stews.
- Green fruit can also be processed to make pickles, chips, dried and canned fruits.
- Jackfruit fries are also a common snack in some countries and due to their smell, people add jackfruit to ice cream and other types of dessert.
- Not only the meat of the fruit. The seed can also be used to boil and consume as a snack. The Indians then processed the seed in gluten-free flour that can be used as part of the diet of the patient with celiac disease.
Jackfruit contains the amount of nutrients that can help the body stay healthy. You can find the nutrients according to the table below. Per edible serving of 100 g of ripe fruit. Potential value-Edible portion (g):
- Humidity 72-77.2
- Calories 98
- 3-1.9 protein
- 2 fat
- Carbohydrate 15.1-25.4
- 0-5 fiber
- Ash 0.8-2.2
- Calcium 22-37
- Iron 0.5-1.7
- Phosphorus 38
- Potassium 292-407
- Sodium 2-48
- Vitamin C 8-10
- Thiamine 0.03
- Riboflavin 0.06
- Niacin 0.4-4
- Vitamin A 540 IU
31 Benefits of Jackfruit for Health:
Jackfruit is one of the excellent fruits that provide your body with many benefits if consumed regularly. Below is the list of benefits of jaca that you should know
1. Provides Energy:
- Jackfruit is considered a healthy snack and can be consumed even if on a diet.
- Jackfruit contains calories that can fill it and helps provide energy to your body quickly.
- So, if you need to increase your energy faster, consuming this fruit is one of the best options since it is loaded with simple sugar carbohydrates but has no cholesterol.
2. Prevents Cancer:
- It contains vitamin C, A and other phytochemicals that act as antioxidants and help prevent cancer.
- Cancer is a degenerative disease caused by many factors, such as free radical damage and toxin in the body.
- According to one study, jackfruit is effective in cleaning the colon and preventing colorectal cancer.
3. Improve Vision:
- Loaded with a high level of vitamin A, the fruit of the jackfruit can help you maintain healthy vision and improve your eyesight.
4. Keep the Skin Young and Firm:
- The fruit contains a large amount of vitamin C that can promote the production of collagen.
- As we know, collagen is a protein that maintains a close tissue bond, especially in the skin layer.
- This makes jackfruit a good option to keep your skin young and firm.
5. Repair Body Cells:
- Protein is the main component of most body tissues and organs and is vital for maintaining healthy body function.
- It is an excellent source of protein that can help repair the body’s cells from damage caused by free radicals or other harmful substances.
6. Help in Wound Healing:
- Vitamin C and protein in jackfruit is the best combination to heal wounds that occur on the outer surface of the body’s skin.
- They also work from inside the body and ensure wound healing.
7. Promotes Hair Growth:
- If you want to have thick and healthy hair, consuming jackfruit is one of the solutions.
- It contains many nutrients that can improve blood circulation in an effort to provide nutrients to the entire body, especially hair roots.
8. Prevent Constipation:
- Constipation is a common digestion problem that occurs in the large intestine or colon.
- Because it contains dietary fiber that can soften stool and help evacuate through the large intestine.
- This will facilitate your defecation process and make your stomach feel comfortable.
9. Increase Immunity:
- The vitamin C in jackfruit can stimulate the immune system and improve the function of white blood cells to fight the disease.
- If you get bored of just eating orange, you can simply taste the flavor of the fruit of the jackfruit.
10. Lower Blood Pressure:
- Because of the presence of potassium, it makes jackfruit an excellent food for people facing hypertension or high blood pressure disease.
- The potassium content in the fruit of the jackfruit can help the body stabilize blood pressure and keep the normal heart pump inside the body.
11. Improves the Digestion Function:
- Fiber is the best of plant products that support a healthy digestion function.
- The fiber contained in the jackfruit can improve bowel movement and promotes better nutrient absorption.
12. Relieve Asthma:
- It is believed that jackfruit can relieve asthma.
- Asthma is a disorder that occurs in the respiratory tract and is triggered by an allergen.
- These benefits can be provided by the vitamin C and A contents of the fruit of the jackfruit.
13. Keep Strong Bones:
- Who knows that jackfruit also contains calcium that can maintain strong bones.
- Enjoying the jackfruit in milky ice cream will not only quench your thirst during the hot day but also strengthen your bones.
14. Prevent Osteoporosis:
- Osteoporosis is a disorder in which bones lose tracing and cause fracture or damage to the bones.
- This disease is usually experienced by the elderly, especially women after menopause.
- The jack fruit has calcium that not only promotes bone strength but also prevents bones from losing mass and causing osteoporosis.
15. Prevent Anemia:
- Weakness, fatigue, loss of resistance and others are some of the symptoms of anemia.
- Anemia is a disorder that occurs because the body does not have red blood cells due to the absence of iron.
- Iron is a vital mineral that keeps healthy red blood cells and ensures that oxygen is transported to every cell in the body.
- The fruit contains iron that can prevent anemia.
16. Get Rid of the Cold:
- High vitamin C content makes your body quickly relieve from the cold.
- Cold or commonly known as influenza is caused by a virus infection.
- The vitamin C in jack fruit can stimulate the work of the immune system to get rid of these viruses and heal you faster.
17. Fight Infections:
- The infection commonly occurs in the body that is triggered by the presence of harmful substances or microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses.
- The nutrient content in the fruit, especially vitamin C, vitamin A and other phytochemicals are powerful fighting substances that can heal and reduce infection.
18. Prevent Diabetes:
- Even jackfruit contains sugar.
- Eating meat can be considered healthy for the patient with diabetes, since they contain manganese, a mineral that can control the level of blood sugar and keep it in normal conditions.
19. Prevent Night Blindness:
- Night blindness, also known as nictalopia, is a problem that occurs in people who lose the ability to see through darkness and low light conditions.
- Jackfruit has a large amount of vitamin A that can improve vision and help prevent night blindness.
20. Reduce the Risk of Heart Disease:
- It has the amount of nutrients, especially vitamin B6 that can protect the heart and control the level of homocysteine in the heart.
- The potassium content in the fruit also plays an important role in maintaining normal and healthy heart function.
21. Treat the Ulcer:
- Not only is it loaded with many nutrients, it is also complete with some phytochemicals that act as anti-inflammatory and anti-ulcer properties that can reduce inflammation and treat ulcers that occur in the stomach.
22. Maintain Thyroid Function:
- The thyroid is an important gland that controls the production of hormones and various metabolic processes that occur in the body.
- The nutrients contained in the fruit, especially micronutrients, including vitamins and minerals that can help maintain a healthy thyroid function.
23. Treat Celiac Disease:
- The seed of the jackfruit has no gluten and can be processed to make flour as people in southern India did.
- Jackfruit seed meal can be used to prepare healthy gluten-free meals for patients with celiac disease (a disease that the body cannot digest gluten, a protein found in grains)
24. Purify Blood:
- Nutrients can help the liver function and detoxify the blood of the toxin and other harmful substances.
- So, if you are on a detox diet, consuming it is totally safe and can be so useful.
25. Prevent Scurvy:
- Scurvy used to happen to people who lack vitamin C intake.
- It is rich in vitamin C and may be an alternative to provide your body with vitamin C that can help prevent scurvy.
26. Maintain a Healthy Metabolism:
- Jackfruit delivers to your body many nutrients, especially vitamin B complex, such as riboflavin, thiamine, niacin and others that are known as important nutrients in the metabolism process.
- Those vitamins are the cofactor of some metabolism enzymes that undergo energy production.
27. Illuminates the Skin:
- Used as a facial mask it is really rare, but it is believed that the seed of the jackfruit can be used as a skin treatment in an effort to lighten the skin.
- Simply soak the seed in milk and honey and then grind it.
- Apply the ground seed on the face for about 15 minutes and rinse it with warm water.
28. Maintain a Healthy Brain:
The proteins and other nutrients in jackfruit, especially antioxidants, can help protect the brain and promote the formation of brain cells.
29. Prevent Alzheimer’s:
- Due to its effect on the maintenance of brain function and the repair of damage to the brain, the antioxidant in the fruit of the jackfruit can surely prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
- Alzheimer’s is a disorder whereby a person lost his memory and used to occur in older people.
30. Improves Pregnancy:
- Pregnant women need large amounts of nutrients to keep their bodies healthy and support the development of the baby or the fetus inside their uterus.
- The jackfruit contains folate that can prevent the baby from suffering damage to the neural tube and the vitamin content in the fruit helps to develop the body organ of the fetus.
31. Fight Against the Effect of Alcohol:
- Alcohol has numerous side effects, such as liver and brain damage.
- Alcohol can be harmful to the body if consumed excessively.
- Traditional Chinese medicine or TCM has been used to cure and treat the effect of alcohol for a long time.
Jackfruit Health Risks:
- Even if it has many benefits for your body, you should be careful before consuming the jackfruit.
- It contains proteins and other substances that can cause allergy in some people.
- It can also raise blood sugar levels in patients with diabetes if consumed excessively.
- People who are trying to get pregnant should avoid consuming jackfruit, as it can decrease libido.
- It should be known that the fruit should not be consumed by people under medication such as warfarin (blood clotting medicine) and those who have just done a tissue transplant.