How to Eat Healthy, Lose Weight and Feel Awesome In this article we will talk about healthy eating. If you follow their indications, you will lose weight without having to count calories and all this feeling very good. When you eat healthy, you can prevent serious diseases such as obesity, type II diabetes and heart disease, so this article can really save your life. I do not like to label a nutritional plan. It is based on scientific studies, not on ethics, religion or a preconceived idea of what a healthy diet should be.
If you want to call this nutritional plan in any way, it could be “Low in carbohydrates, real food”
What Does “Low in Carbohydrates, Real Food” Mean?
Let’s start by explaining a little the terminology.
- Low carbohydrate diet: Minimizes sugars and starches, and replaces them with foods rich in protein and good fats.
- “Real food”: This means choosing foods that have always been there, not in a box. Goodbye to processed foods and non-natural foods with chemicals.
This eating plan is not a diet. It is a way of eating, a change in lifestyle supported by scientific evidence. This way of eating emphasizes human food that we have been eating for hundreds of thousands of years, before the agricultural and industrial revolution will arrive. It has been shown that this type of diet works better than a diet low in fat, which has been recommended for so long by the health authorities.
Food You Should Not Eat (Fat and Disease Accumulatives)
You should avoid as if it were your life in it the following foods:
- Sugar: Sugar creates addiction, makes us gain weight and is mainly responsible for diseases such as obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
- Grains: If you want to lose weight avoid grains, including bread and pasta. The grains that have gluten (wheat, spelled, barley and rye) are the worst. If you do not want to lose weight you can take healthier grains, such as rice and oats.
- Vegetable and seed oils: Goodbye to soybean oil, corn oil and more. These oils are rich in omega-6 fatty acids, which in excess are harmful.
- Tran’s fats: They are fats that have been chemically modified; they are very bad for health. They are found in some processed foods.
- Artificial sweeteners: Although they have no calories, studies show that they cause obesity and related diseases. If you need a sweetener, switch to stevia.
- “Low fat” products: This type of products that are passed off as “healthy foods” are not healthy at all. They are usually very processed and are full of sugar or artificial sweeteners. Agave syrup is as bad as sugar.
- Highly processed foods: These foods are always low in nutrients and rich in unhealthy and unnatural chemicals.
Important that you always read the labels, in doing so you will see that you get many surprises, things that seem healthy, have nothing healthy.
How to Eat Healthy (Foods that Will Make you Feel Very Good)
“You must opt for natural foods, foods that have not been genetically processed”.
It is proven that these types of foods are excellent for health. People, who are healthy, exercise and do not need to lose weight, can eat potatoes and sweet potatoes, gluten-free grains, such as oats or rice. If you are overweight or have metabolic problems (low levels of good cholesterol, high levels of bad cholesterol, triglycerides, belly fat, etc.), you should eliminate foods rich in carbohydrates.
- Meat: Beef, lamb, pork, chicken. We have been eating meat for hundreds of thousands of years, yes, raw meat is a very good food, especially if the animals from which it comes have been fed with natural foods (such as meat that comes from cows fed on grass).
- Fish: Fish is a great food. It is very healthy, satiating, and rich in omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients. You should take fatty fish every week, such as salmon.
- Eggs: Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods that exist. The most nutritious and healthy part is the yolk.
- Vegetables: They contain fiber and other nutrients that are essential for the human body. It is important that you eat vegetables every day.
- Fruits: There is a lot of variety, they taste very good, they are easy to prepare and they are rich in fiber and vitamin C. They are a high sugar food, so if you have lost weight among your goals, it is important that you do not overdo it.
- Seeds and nuts: You can take almonds, nuts, sunflower seeds, etc. They are rich in several nutrients, also high in calories, so if you want to lose weight do not overdo it.
- Potatoes: Potatoes and sweet potatoes are a healthy food, but also high in carbohydrates. If you want to lose weight, take them in moderation.
- Dairy products rich in fat: You have cheese, cream, butter, yogurt with fat, etc. They are rich in good fats and calcium. Dairy products from animals that have grazed are rich in vitamin K2, which is very important for health.
- Fats and oils: Olive oil, butter, lard, etc. Opt for saturated fats to cook at high temperatures; they are more stable to heat.
What to Drink?
- Coffee: Coffee is a very healthy drink and rich in antioxidants, if you are sensitive to caffeine, avoid it. Better not take it at the end of the day, I could not let you sleep.
- Tea: Tea is also a healthy drink; you can drink it without problems all day. There is also no reason to drink tons of tea, pay attention to your thirst. It contains less caffeine than coffee.
- Water: Another drink highly recommended for all day, especially when it comes to sports. Do not drink tons either, thirst is a pretty reliable indicator of the water needs you have.
- As other options we have sodium carbonate without artificial sweeteners.
No soft drinks with sugar and artificial sweeteners, fruit juice, milk and beer. As a simple rule we would have the following: Do not drink anything that has calories.
You can treat yourself to something else once in a while.
- Dark chocolate: Choose organic chocolate with more than 70% cocoa. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and good fats.
- Alcohol: You can drink dry wines and drinks that do not contain sugar or carbohydrates: vodka, whiskey, etc.
How Many Carbohydrates Do I Take a Day?
This varies from one person to another. There are people who feel better taking few carbohydrates (less than 50 grams), while others prefer more, about 150 grams, which is still low in carbohydrates. You can use the following ranges as a guide:
- 10-20 grams a day: Very low range, you can only take low-carb vegetables. This range can be good for people who want to lose a lot of weight or have diabetes or metabolic syndrome.
- 20-50 grams a day: This range is for you if you want to lose weight fast. You can eat vegetables and a piece of fruit a day.
- 50-150 grams per day: This range is for people who want to have good health and reduce the risk of diseases related to lifestyle. You can take several fruits a day and even foods with a bit of healthy starch, like potatoes and rice.
If you reduce carbohydrates below 50 grams a day you cannot take sugar, bread, pasta, cereals, potatoes and only one piece of fruit a day. I recommend you create an account on cronometer.com to record your food intake for a few days. It is a very effective way to have an accurate idea of the amount of carbohydrates you are eating.
Warning for diabetics: Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose in the digestive tract, and then enter the body as blood sugar. If you eat fewer carbohydrates, you will need less insulin and fewer hypoglycemic medications. It is very dangerous if your blood sugar levels fall below a certain level (hypoglycemia). If you have diabetes, it is very important that you consult with your doctor before reducing carbohydrates.
Why Does It Work?
For hundreds of years human beings have evolved as hunter-gatherers. Our diet underwent drastic changes after the agricultural revolution, about 10,000 years ago. But it is since a few decades ago, with the entry of processed foods, where our diet has made a very worrying transformation. Obviously, our current diet is very different from what our ancestors ate. There are still populations in different parts of the world that continue to be hunter-gatherers, consuming natural foods. These people are thin, have good health and do not suffer from the serious diseases that we suffer in Western countries, obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc. It has been shown through studies that when we eat natural foods our health improves a lot.
The Hormone of Insulin
We have talked a lot about insulin in the blog, among its functions is to take the glucose from the blood to the cells. An insulin deficiency or resistance to it can lead to diabetes. But insulin has more attachments in our body. Among them is telling fat cells to produce fat and stop breaking the fat they carry. When our insulin is high, the body does not take the stored fat in our body to get energy. Today many people take a diet rich in carbohydrates, which causes insulin is always high and that way you do not burn fat. Carbohydrates are the main nutrient responsible for the secretion of insulin. If you take a low carb diet, you will reduce your diet sugar and therefore your insulin levels will be reduced. When insulin is reduced, the body can easily access the calories stored in fat cells. It may take a few days to get the energy from the fat cells instead of the carbohydrates. Low carbohydrate diets make us feel more satiated, our appetite is reduced and people start eating fewer calories than they burn, which causes them to lose weight. This is one of the great advantages of a low carb diet, you can eat until you feel full, lose weight and all without having to count calories. This is very important, that people can lose weight without having to go hungry, something that does not happen with diets that restrict calories.
Benefits That Provide Us for Health a Low Diet in Carbohydrates.
Some people, even health professionals consider a diet low in carbohydrates bad for health, these people have not analyzed what the science says about this diet. The main argument used by these people is that low-carbohydrate diets are bad because they are rich in saturated fats, which causes cholesterol to rise and we suffer from heart disease. The studies conducted in this regard say that this is false. The saturated fats what they do is raise the good cholesterol, and change the bad cholesterol particles from small to large, which is good. It has already been shown that it is a myth that saturated fat causes heart disease. It is proven by science that a diet low in carbohydrates causes greater weight loss and improvements in risk factors than a low-fat diet.
- It makes us lose fat: A low carb diet allows us to eat until we feel full, and causes more fat loss than a diet low in fat and calories.
- Blood sugar: Having high blood sugar can lead to diabetes and metabolic syndrome, which is very bad in the long term. With a low carbohydrate diet you can reduce blood sugar levels.
- Blood pressure: Eating a low-carbohydrate diet lowers blood pressure.
- High levels of triglycerides: Triglycerides are fats that circulate in the blood and are a risk factor that can cause heart disease. Low-carbohydrate diets reduce these levels more than low-fat diets do.
- Good cholesterol: If you have more good cholesterol, you have less risk of cardiovascular disease. With a low carbohydrate diet you get to increase good cholesterol much more than with a low-fat diet.
- Bad cholesterol: Diets low in carbohydrates cause the bad cholesterol particles to go from small to large, which is positive.
- It’s easier: Without a doubt, making a low-carbohydrate diet is easier than making a low-fat diet; this is because being very satisfying allows you to not have to count calories or go hungry.
You see, all this shows that a diet low in carbohydrates, based on real foods, causes more weight loss and improves health more than diets that are recommended by many dieticians and nutritionists around the world.
Side Effects that You can Notice When Starting a Low Diet in Carbohydrates.
When we substitute carbohydrates for proteins and fats, several things happen so that the body efficiently uses fats as fuel. At the hormonal level there will be no big changes. The body will need to increase the production of enzymes to start burning fat instead of carbohydrates. This may take a few days, the adaptation complete a few weeks.
The first days we can notice the following side effects:
- Feeling that you get dizzy
These side effects are usually mild and you do not have to worry about them. Your body has been using carbohydrates for many years as an energy source and needs time to adapt to using fats as the main source of fuel. This stage is known as “low carb flu” and you must overcome it in 3-4 days. On a low carb diet it is important to eat enough fat. This nutrient will be the new fuel source of our body. If you eat low in carbohydrates and low in fat, you will feel bad and you will give up. Another important thing is that insulin causes our kidneys to retain sodium. When you reduce carbohydrates, the kidneys release this sodium. This is the main reason why in the first days the swelling and the weight of the water are reduced. To counteract this sodium loss you can add more salt to your food or drink a cup of broth every day. Many people who have tried this diet say they feel better than ever, yes, after the initial adaptation period has passed. If you do not feel good, add more fat and sodium.
Food Plan that can Save Your Life
Next we will see a meal plan that provides less than 50 grams of carbohydrates per day.
Breakfast: Tortilla with vegetables, fried in butter or coconut oil.
Food: Grass-fed yogurt with blueberries and a handful of almonds.
Dinner: Hamburger with cheese (without bread), accompanied by vegetables.
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Food: Hamburgers and leftover vegetables from the day before dinner
Dinner: Boiled salmon with butter and vegetables
Breakfast: Eggs and vegetables, fried in butter or coconut oil.
Food: Prawns salad with a little olive oil.
Dinner: Grilled chicken with vegetables
Breakfast: Tortilla with vegetables, fried in butter or coconut oil.
Food: Smoothie with coconut milk, almonds and protein powder. (Video on the Properties of Coconut Milk).
Dinner: Steak and vegetables
Breakfast: Eggs with bacon.
Food: Chicken salad with olive oil.
Dinner: Pork chops with vegetables.
Breakfast: Omelet with vegetables.
Food: Grass-fed yogurt with berries, coconut flakes and a handful of nuts.
Dinner: Meatballs with vegetables.
Breakfast: Eggs with bacon.
Food: Smoothie with coconut milk, with a little milk cream, protein powder with strawberries or chocolate flavor.
Dinner: Grilled chicken wings with a little raw spinach.
It is important that you include a great variety of vegetables in your diet. If you want to be below 50 grams a day then you should only take one piece of fruit a day. Choose organic and grass-fed foods, if possible clear. Do everything possible to avoid processed foods.
What Peak Between Hours?
There are no studies that indicate that we have to eat more than 3 meals a day. If you’re hungry between meals, here are some healthy, tasty and easy-to-carry ideas:
- Yogurt with all the fat
- A piece of fruit
- A carrot.
- Boiled eggs
- A handful of nuts
- Food scraps
- Some cheese or meat.